You choose, we deliver
If you are interested in this story, you might be interested in others from The Journal Gazette. Go to www.journalgazette.net/newsletter and pick the subjects you care most about. We'll deliver your customized daily news report at 3 a.m. Fort Wayne time, right to your email.

Police and fire

  • Girl, lifeless, pulled from pond
    A diver pulled the body of 3-year-old girl out of a pond on AllenCounty's south side Tuesday afternoon. She was pronounced dead, according to authorities at the scene.
  • Second victim identified
    Fort Wayne Police have identified the second person shot Sunday in the 600 block of East Rudisill Boulevard as James W. Armstrong from Arizona.
  • Semi rollover stalls traffic on I-469
    A semi that rolled onto its side caused slowdowns in traffic on Interstate 469 on Monday, according to Indiana State Police.There were only minor injuries in the crash.
Advertisement

Fatal fire ‘accidental,’ officials say

Foul play has been ruled out in the death of an 81-year-old Angola man who died Monday as the result of a house fire in Angola.

Preliminary results indicate that Herbert P. Sanders died of smoke inhalation, according to a statement issued Wednesday by the Steuben County Sheriff’s Department.

It said the Indiana State Fire Marshal’s Office preliminary investigation indicates the fire was “accidental in nature.”

Police officers were first to arrive at the house at 809 Growth Parkway, and they could see heavy flames on the first floor, according to information released earlier by the Angola Fire Department.

After learning that someone was inside, the officers tried to make a rescue, but the heat and smoke thwarted them.

Firefighters were dispatched to the house at 3:12 p.m. and arrived six minutes later. They entered the house and brought Sanders out, according to an earlier story on The Journal Gazette's website.

With help from Fremont fire crews, the Angola Fire Department had the blaze under control by 3:27 p.m. The fire was contained to the living room and kitchen.

Advertisement