You choose, we deliver
If you are interested in this story, you might be interested in others from The Journal Gazette. Go to and pick the subjects you care most about. We'll deliver your customized daily news report at 3 a.m. Fort Wayne time, right to your email.

Police and fire

  • No answers after shots ring in city
    The vehicles raced down a city street, gunfire ringing out between them.
  • Blaze heavily damages home
    A Fort Wayne family won’t be able to spend Thanksgiving at home after a fire gutted their house Wednesday. Smoke and flames were already visible from the two-story home at 3920 S. Anthony Blvd.
  • Fire burns two apartments
    A fire in two apartments Wednesday afternoon forced the residents to find somewhere else to stay this Thanksgiving.The Fort Wayne Fire Department was called about 4:10 p.m.

Smoke inhalation killed fire victim

An 81-year-old Angola man killed in a house fire Monday died from smoke inhalation, the Steuben County Coroner’s Office said Wednesday.

Herbert Sanders was inside his house at 809 Growth Parkway when the fire erupted, the Steuben County Sheriff’s Office said.

The blaze began about 3 p.m. Monday; the Angola Fire Department has ruled the fire accidental.