You choose, we deliver
If you are interested in this story, you might be interested in others from The Journal Gazette. Go to www.journalgazette.net/newsletter and pick the subjects you care most about. We'll deliver your customized daily news report at 3 a.m. Fort Wayne time, right to your email.

Police and fire

  • No answers after shots ring in city
    The vehicles raced down a city street, gunfire ringing out between them.
  • Blaze heavily damages home
    A Fort Wayne family won’t be able to spend Thanksgiving at home after a fire gutted their house Wednesday. Smoke and flames were already visible from the two-story home at 3920 S. Anthony Blvd.
  • Fire burns two apartments
    A fire in two apartments Wednesday afternoon forced the residents to find somewhere else to stay this Thanksgiving.The Fort Wayne Fire Department was called about 4:10 p.m.
Advertisement

Man rescued from apartment fire

Firefighters rescued an unconscious man from a burning apartment early Monday in south Fort Wayne, according to the city fire department.

The 48-year-old man, suffering from burns and smoke inhalation, was taken to a hospital in serious condition. He is expected to survive, Assistant Chief Michael Miller said.

Fire crews were dispatched at 12:16 a.m. to the two-story, four-unit building at 1006 Lincoln Ave., just east of Broadway, and they arrived four minutes later, the department said.

Heavy smoke and flames were coming from the rear of the first floor, and two residents and three pets had already evacuated the building, Miller said.

Firefighters searched the building and found the remaining man unconscious in his apartment near a door to the outside, Miller said. The man’s name was not released.

Miller said food left unattended on the man’s stove started the fire that heavily damaged his apartment. Firefighters had the blaze under control shortly before 1 a.m., the department said.

Advertisement