You choose, we deliver
If you are interested in this story, you might be interested in others from The Journal Gazette. Go to www.journalgazette.net/newsletter and pick the subjects you care most about. We'll deliver your customized daily news report at 3 a.m. Fort Wayne time, right to your email.

U.S.

  • 2008 law unexpectedly at center of border debate
    Sen. Dianne Feinstein recalls turning on her television and seeing a young Chinese girl crying before a judge, without even an interpreter to help her after surviving a harrowing journey to the U.
  • Arizona execution drug case heads to Supreme Court
    A case challenging Arizona’s refusal to reveal detailed information about the lethal drugs it plans to use to put an inmate to death is now headed to the U.S. Supreme Court.
  • Murder charges filed in California bank robbery
    A 19-year-old California man was charged Monday with three counts of murder in the deaths of a hostage and two alleged accomplices, and 22 counts of attempted murder of police officers in a bank robbery and running gun battle.
Advertisement

Investigation of missing Morenci boys 'active,' police say

MORENCI, Mich. – The investigation into the case of three Michigan boys missing since Thanksgiving 2010 remains “active” ahead of the second anniversary of their disappearance, police said Tuesday.

Police in Morenci, however, said they still believe the boys are dead and their father disposed of their bodies. John Skelton pleaded no contest last year to charges of unlawful imprisonment, but he maintains he didn’t harm the children.

The boys were last seen at Skelton’s home in Morenci, which is near the Michigan-Ohio border. Skelton didn’t return them to their mother, setting off a search that involved hundreds of volunteers in both states.

Skelton told police he handed the boys over to a group he didn’t identify to protect them from their mother.

“His choice to hide behind this outlandish story is selfish and cowardly,” Morenci Police Chief Larry Weeks said in a statement. “If he cared about his sons at all he would disclose the truth and bring resolution to this case.”

Investigators said they have received about 1,300 tips and continue to seek more, and a $60,000 reward is being offered.

In the statement, police said: “The investigation remains active and at the forefront of our thoughts and prayers.”

Andrew, Alexander and Tanner Skelton were 9, 7, and 5 years old, respectively, when they last were seen.

The boys’ mother, Tanya Zuvers, said recently that she hasn’t given up hope for her sons.

Advertisement