Thursday, November 22, 2012 9:45 pm
10 Things to Know for Friday
By The Associated Press
1. WHY BLACK FRIDAY IS MORE IMPORTANT THAN EVER
Americans' growing comfort with online shopping puts more pressure on brick-and-mortar stores, which depend so heavily on the holiday season.
2. WHO THE U.S. IS COUNTING ON TO KEEP THE PEACE IN GAZA
Egypt's President Morsi emerges from his first major international crisis with enhanced prestige after mediating between sworn enemies Israel and Hamas.
3. ANOTHER BIG ADVANCE FOR SYRIAN REBELS
They strengthen their hold on an oil-rich province, activists say, capturing a base seen as a bastion for Assad loyalists.
4. 100 CARS AND TRUCKS IN TEXAS HOLIDAY PILEUP
Big crash in extremely dense fog near Beaumont sends dozens to hospitals.
5. DEAR AMERICA: IT ONLY SEEMS LIKE YOU'RE GETTING MORE CATALOGS
The flow to U.S. mailboxes has dipped big time because of a postage increase, the weak economy and online purchases.
6. MEXICO WANTS TO BOOT THE U AND THE S
Its formal name is "The United Mexican States" and President Felipe Calderon wants to make it simply "Mexico."
7. WHERE CHRIS BROWN WON'T BE APPEARING
Organizers say the American star cancels a Guyana concert after protests over his 2009 beating of Barbadian superstar Rihanna.
8. HOW AN EXTINCT SPECIES COULD LIVE AGAIN
Scientists say it's possible to resurrect the subspecies that disappeared when Lonesome George died in the Galapagos Islands by cross-breeding with 17 other tortoises that have similar genetic material.
9. COACH'S GOOF IS A DOOZY FOR THE LIONS
The Texans win after a mistake by Detroit's Jim Schwartz, who broke the rules by challenging a scoring play.
10. NOTRE DAME AIMS FOR FOOTBALL PERFECTION
The undefeated Irish carry national championship dreams to Los Angeles for Saturday's matchup against USC.