You choose, we deliver
If you are interested in this story, you might be interested in others from The Journal Gazette. Go to and pick the subjects you care most about. We'll deliver your customized daily news report at 3 a.m. Fort Wayne time, right to your email.


  • Guilty plea filed in near-record marijuana haul
    A 51-year-old Indianapolis man pleaded guilty in U.S. District Court, admitting to dealing large quantities of marijuana shipped in appliances.
  • City to pay $15,000 in police shooting
    The city of Fort Wayne will pay $15,000 to the estate of a man killed by police in late December 2010. Originally filed in Allen Superior Court, the lawsuit was transferred to federal court.
  • Warsaw printer accused over firing
    The Indiana Civil Rights Commission found probable cause that a Warsaw company discriminated against a pregnant employee. According to a press release issued Friday, the Warsaw location of R.

Child abuser sentenced to 16 years


After taking a couple of weeks to think about it, and after hearing arguments on whether he could pass the sentence he seemed to desire, Allen Superior Judge John Surbeck ordered a child abuser to serve 16 years behind bars Monday.

Surbeck's final sentencing decision came nearly two weeks after a lengthy sentencing hearing in which 22-year-old Antonio Henderson spent many words describing how he never hurt the children in his care.

But, as Surbeck reminded him, Henderson already pleaded guilty to all eight charges – four Class C felony charges of neglect of a dependent causing serious bodily injury and four Class D felony charges of battery to a victim less than 14.

Surbeck ultimately sentenced Henderson to 20 years in prison but suspended four of those years. He also gave Henderson four years probation as well as credit for 206 days already served in Allen County Jail while the case made its way through the legal system.

Court documents outlined the accusations against Henderson. And they were many – punching and whipping the children, putting them in chokeholds until they passed out and threatening to put them in a cage with a 6-foot boa constrictor. The children told investigators Henderson made them give each other "blanket parties"— a military-type punishment involving covering someone with a blanket while others strike them.

When police workers with the Department of Child Services intervened for the final time in October 2011, they found the children had bruises on their faces, black "raccoon eyes" and cuts and scrapes. The youngest, who was 2 at the time, had abrasions on her back, bruises on her face and a skull fracture.

During the hearing on Nov. 9, clinical psychologist Danielle Wardell told Surbeck that the three older boys, whom she interviewed with they were 8, 6, and 5 years old at the time, suffered from debilitating post traumatic stress disorder and disruptive behavior disorder. Two had depressive disorder and were borderline intellectually functional.

While reluctant to say the abuse specifically caused their struggles, Wardell drew a straight line from their experiences in the home to their mental health and intellectual abilities.

"Intelligence can be impacted by abuse," she said. "It negatively impacts the ability to concentrate so it is hard to learn. (The abuse) was quite detrimental to their development and will continue to cause difficulty."

As she described how the children are also showing signs of having been sexually abused, the inmate handcuffed to Henderson in the jury box slid further away in his seat and shook his head.

Prosecutors said a doctor specializing in child abuse described what the children endured as torture.

For his part, Henderson admitted to not doing enough to keep the children from playing rough with each other, but accused them, largely, of lying or exaggerating about the abuse they say he inflicted.

Surbeck noticed Henderson's apparent lack of remorse.

"It has become clear over the last few minutes, you have no intention, Mr. Henderson, of accepting responsibility," Surbeck said. "I have sat here and listened to him and all his excuses. He has little, if any, remorse for anything, except the fact that he is in jail."

Reporter Jeff Wiehe contributed to this story.