The results of a draft resolution on Palestinian status are posted during a meeting of the United Nations General Assembly after a vote on a resolution on the issue of upgrading the Palestinian Authority's status to non-member observer state in the United Nations headquarters, Thursday, Nov. 29, 2012. (AP Photo/Kathy Willens)
Thursday, November 29, 2012 9:01 pm
10 Things to Know for Friday
By The Associated Press
1. WHY UN VOTE RECOGNIZING PALESTINE MAY ULTIMATELY DISAPPOINT
Real independence remains an elusive dream until the Palestinians negotiate a peace deal with the Israelis.
2. BACK TO THE BRINK OF THE `FISCAL CLIFF'
The GOP recoils at word that the White House is seeking $1.6 trillion in higher taxes, more stimulus.
3. WHO MIGHT'VE HIT THE POWERBALL JACKPOT
The Missouri Lottery has confirmed one winning ticket and will reveal the winner Friday. The second ticket holder, in Arizona, remains a mystery.
4. SYRIAN REBELS WAIT, WATCH FOR POSSIBLE ATTACK
The Internet goes black across the country - perhaps in preparation for a major government offensive, activists say.
5. ISLAMISTS RUSH TO FINISH EGYPT'S CONSTITUTION
Lawmakers, voting in a single marathon session that continued past midnight, try to pre-empt a court ruling that could dissolve the assembly.
6. STRAUSS-KAHN AGREES TO SETTLE WITH ACCUSER
Hotel maid's lawsuit alleged that the ex-IMF chief tried to rape her in a New York hotel.
7. MANNING: `I REMEMBER THINKING, I'M GOING TO DIE'
The Army private charged with sending classified information to Wikileaks describes his confinement in maximum-security cells in Kuwait and a Marine Corps brig.
8. BOY'S DISAPPEARANCE A MYSTERY
As part of a divorce case, a Colorado teen was ordered to visit his father over Thanksgiving. He hasn't been seen since.
9. MELTING AT POLES WORRIES SCIENTISTS
Ice sheets are fading faster than ever, though the rise in sea levels hasn't been as severe as earlier worst-case predictions.
10. WHEN HALFTIME IS THE RIGHT TIME
NFL players are rumored to be using Viagra. Experts say it might give them an edge when it comes to confidence, but that's about it.