You choose, we deliver
If you are interested in this story, you might be interested in others from The Journal Gazette. Go to and pick the subjects you care most about. We'll deliver your customized daily news report at 3 a.m. Fort Wayne time, right to your email.

Indiana University

  • Crean excited about his newest recruits
    Juwan Morgan and O.G. Anunoby endeared themselves to Tom Crean, and the Indiana coach wasted no time singing their praises when describing the rangy forwards who comprise his 2015 recruiting class.
  • Hoosiers wilt down stretch for first loss
    It was tough to tell which team was from the Big Ten on Monday night at Assembly Hall.But it was easy to see which team had more toughness, made the key plays down the stretch and did all the little things well.
  • Injured teammate’s return buoys IU
    Just seeing Devin Davis in blue jeans and a hooded sweatshirt, smiling and in his full Assembly Hall element, was uplifting to Indiana.
Creighton’s Timo Pitter fights for the ball with Indiana’s Jacob Bushue in the first half of a NCAA College Cup semifinal Friday in Hoover, Ala.

IU to play for NCAA soccer title

– Femi Hollinger-Janzen scored midway through the first half and Indiana held off Creighton 1-0 on Friday night to advance to the NCAA soccer final.

The seven-time champion Hoosiers (15-5-3) will play Georgetown in the title game Sunday. The Hoyas beat Maryland 4-3 on penalty kicks after a 4-all tie.

Hollinger-Janzen gathered a deflected pass on the right wing and booted an 8-yard shot that bounced in off goalkeeper Jeff Gal for his fourth goal of the season.

Creighton (17-4-3) lost for the first time in 15 games. The Bluejays were 12-0-2 after opening 5-3-1.

Creighton had only two good scoring chances in the final 20 minutes, and goalkeeper Luis Soffner blocked both attempts. The Hoosiers have given up only two goals in their four NCAA tournament games.

Indiana won its last title in 2004.

In the first semifinal, Georgetown goalkeeper Tomas Gomez blocked Helge Leikvang’s shot in the final round of a shootout, as the Hoyas (20-3-2) beat the Terrapins (20-2-2) for the first time in 29 tries

Maryland scored twice in a 3 1/2 -minute span late in the second half to tie it at 4.

Maryland led 3-2 through the first three rounds of the penalty kicks, but the Hoyas rallied for a 4-3 lead and won when Gomez dived to his left to stop Leikvang’s shot.

“I just had a hunch to go there, and it worked out,” Gomez said.

Steve Neumann scored three goals for the Hoyas, including two in a 1:31 span to give Georgetown a 2-1 halftime lead. It was the first hat trick in the College Cup since 1993.

“You always dream about having games like that on big stages like this,” Neumann said. “It’s an unbelievable feeling and something I’ll cherish the rest of my life.”

Neumann made it 4-2 with 30 minutes left in regulation, but Maryland tied it on goals by Patrick Mullins and Christiano Francois.

“You’re never going to feel secure with a two-goal lead against a team like Maryland,” Georgetown coach Brian Wiese said. “There were several times in the second half when Maryland could have chucked it, and they never did. They showed tremendous resilience.”

Maryland outshot Georgetown 18-12, including five shots in the final 12 minutes of regulation after tying it.

“I don’t think we ever for a moment thought that we weren’t going to come back and win,” said Maryland’s Patrick Mullins, who had a goal and two assists. “We just knew somebody was going to find a way to get us that one goal. We had some decent chances at the end.”

The eight goals tied for the second-most in College Cup history. It also marked the first time a team has scored four goals in a College Cup game since 2006.

The Terrapins had given up a total of four goals in their past four games.

“Our defending let us down,” Maryland coach Sasho Cirovski said. “It’s very difficult to cope with the reality that we’re not advancing and playing on Sunday. We just came up a little empty.”