FORT WAYNE – North Side High School was evacuated for less than an hour Friday morning after heavy smoke in a laundry room set off the school fire alarm.
Fort Wayne Community Schools spokeswoman Melanie Hall said everyone in the school was evacuated about 11 a.m. when the fire alarm sounded. Fire crews arrived shortly after to find heavy smoke coming from a dryer in the boys’ locker room, she said.
No flames were reported and firefighters were able to address the issue, Hall said.
Less than one hour later, health officials cleared the cafeteria and classrooms in the high school, at 475 E. State Blvd. Areas like the gym that are near the laundry room were still closed to students and staff as of early afternoon, Hall said.