Two days before Christmas and nine days after the massacre at Sandy Hook Elementary School, and with inspiration from NBC News’ Ann Curry, here are 26 acts of kindness in honor of the Sandy Hook victims. Readers are invited to choose one or more or show kindness in their own way. Our ideas:
1. Buy supplies for a school. Ask the principal of your children’s or a nearby school what’s needed.
2. Compliment a co-worker.
3. Volunteer – opportunities abound through Study Connection, United Way’s Real Men Read, the Northeast Indiana Radio Reading Service, the Literacy Alliance and many more organizations.
4. Donate gently used clothes and goods to a non-profit thrift store like Goodwill or Salvation Army. And
5. While you’re there, buy a gift for someone.
6. Thank a teacher: Write a note to someone who inspired you or your child.
7. Help homeless veterans at the Shepherd Center by donating coffee and homemade cookies.
8. Buy lunch for the table next to you.
9. Buy a Fort Wayne Children’s Zoo annual pass for a deserving family.
10. Give to United Way.
11. And participate in the United Way Day of Caring.
12. Contact and say hello to an old friend or distant relative.
13. Visit the Fantasy of Lights at Franke Park. Your $5-per-car admission benefits Anthony Wayne Services.
14. Smile at a stranger.
15. Pick up extra dogs from the Coney Island Wiener Stand and give them to people looking at the Santa and reindeer display on the PNC Bank building.
16. Donate eyeglasses.
17. Give blood at the Red Cross Donor Center on California Road to help ease shortages that often occur around the holidays.
18. Clear snow from your neighbor’s sidewalk.
19. Next spring or summer, buy an extra ice cream at Zesto’s for someone behind you in line.
20. Pick up someone else’s litter.
21. If you’re downtown during business hours, drop some change into a parking meter about to expire.
22. Leave an extra-generous tip for the waitress/waiter.
23. Give food or pet supplies to Fort Wayne Animal Care and Control or the Allen County Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals.
24. Give a Citilink bus pass to someone without a car. ($3 for a day, $45 for a month.)
25. Thank a cop.
26. Sponsor a participant in one of the area’s charity walk-athons.