You choose, we deliver
If you are interested in this story, you might be interested in others from The Journal Gazette. Go to www.journalgazette.net/newsletter and pick the subjects you care most about. We'll deliver your customized daily news report at 3 a.m. Fort Wayne time, right to your email.
Advertisement

Mother drops children to safety from burning apartment

INDIANAPOLIS – Fire officials said an Indianapolis woman saved her two children by dropping them from her burning apartment’s second-story window to neighbors below.

The Indianapolis Fire Department said 24-year-old Latice Jackson dropped her 2-year-old and 4-month-old children to neighbors waiting below at Heart’s Landing Apartments before she jumped to safety herself about 3:20 a.m. Tuesday.

Jackson and her children were assessed for smoke inhalation at a local hospital.

The Indianapolis Star reported (http://indy.st/VttK6N) officials believe an unattended pan of grease heating on a stove started the fire, which caused an estimated $150,000 in damage.

Jackson told firefighters the family returned home from a family New Year’s Eve party when she started to heat a pan of oil to cook French fries for one of her children, but apparently fell asleep.

Advertisement