You choose, we deliver
If you are interested in this story, you might be interested in others from The Journal Gazette. Go to www.journalgazette.net/newsletter and pick the subjects you care most about. We'll deliver your customized daily news report at 3 a.m. Fort Wayne time, right to your email.

Police and fire

  • No answers after shots ring in city
    The vehicles raced down a city street, gunfire ringing out between them.
  • Blaze heavily damages home
    A Fort Wayne family won’t be able to spend Thanksgiving at home after a fire gutted their house Wednesday. Smoke and flames were already visible from the two-story home at 3920 S. Anthony Blvd.
  • Fire burns two apartments
    A fire in two apartments Wednesday afternoon forced the residents to find somewhere else to stay this Thanksgiving.The Fort Wayne Fire Department was called about 4:10 p.m.
Advertisement

Worker’s torch cited in fire at ex-Hooters

A fire Monday that gutted the former Hooters restaurant on Coliseum Boulevard has been declared an accident, officials said.

Fort Wayne Fire Chief Amy Biggs said a man was working in the kitchen in the building at 920 Coliseum Blvd. E. He was using a torch and had cut out a portion of the hood vent that was covered in grease. The grease ignited and flames quickly spread throughout the building, she said.

The man was able to escape and immediately called 911, but the blaze had already spread into the rafters, she said.

Biggs said the building was significantly damaged before the fire department’s arrival.

Crews tried an aggressive interior attack, she said, but were forced out because of the threat of a collapse.

There were no serious injuries reported, but a few firefighters were treated for cuts and scrapes, she said.

Advertisement