Skip to main content

The Journal Gazette

  • Brooklyn Nets' Joe Johnson (7) shoots over Phoenix Suns' P.J. Tucker (17) and Marcin Gortat, right. in the second half of an NBA basketball game on Friday, Jan., 11, 2013 at Barclays Center in New York. The Nets won 99-79. (AP Photo/Kathy Kmonicek)

Friday, January 11, 2013 10:56 pm

Joe Johnson leads Nets over Suns, 99-79

The Associated Press

Joe Johnson scored 19 points and MarShon Brooks added 17 points off the bench Friday night, leading the Brooklyn Nets to its fifth straight victory, 99-79 over the struggling Phoenix Suns.

The Nets have won three straight games by 20 or more points for the first time in the team's NBA history.

Deron Williams added 14 points and Andray Blatche chipped in 15 points and eight rebounds as the Nets ended a five game home losing streak against Phoenix.

Jared Dudley led the Suns with 18 points and Shannon Brown had 15 off the bench as Phoenix lost its fifth straight and for the 11th time in 12 games.

Brooklyn trailed 53-46 at the half and looked as if the Suns were going to get their third victory on the road this season.

The third quarter has troubled Brooklyn all season but they ended up turning things around this time, outscoring Phoenix 28-13 in the quarter.

Brooklyn went on a 24-6 run that stretched into the fourth quarter after C.J. Watson's jumper evened it 60-all with 4:25 left in the quarter. Brooks, who filled in for Gerald Wallace, who left the game with an injury, scored the last six points of the quarter for the Nets.

After both teams turned the ball over to begin the final quarter, Williams drove past Goran Dragic to make it 78-66. After a Phoenix timeout, Reggie Evans, who grabbed 15 rebounds, made a layup and Williams then found Johnson to make it 81-66. Johnson then came back with a 3-pointer to make it 84-66.

The Nets held Phoenix without a basket for 4 1/2 minutes before Luis Scola's jumper with 7:28 remaining in the game made it 84-68.

With 6:09 left in the first quarter, Wallace went for a dunk but P.J. Tucker contested the shot. Wallace landed on his right shoulder and laid on the floor while a Nets trainer checked on him. Wallace was able to walk off on his own to the team's locker room. X-rays were negative but he did bruise his ribs.

NOTES: The last road for the Suns was at Cleveland on Nov. 27. ... Williams left the game briefly in the third quarter with a thigh contusion.