Saturday, February 09, 2013 9:16 pm
Boy, 8, killed in NYC fire started by space heater
The Associated Press
The Fire Department says a firefighter and another person were taken to hospitals with minor injuries after the blaze early Saturday. It was in a building in the city's Flatbush neighborhood.
Henry Barnes lives across the street. He tells The New York Times he was awakened by screams, went outside and saw two women standing in the street.
He says one was yelling: "Get my kids, get my kids."
The boy died at the scene of the fire. His name hasn't been released.
Firefighters determined the space heater was too close to some combustible items. It's not immediately clear what they were.