You choose, we deliver
If you are interested in this story, you might be interested in others from The Journal Gazette. Go to and pick the subjects you care most about. We'll deliver your customized daily news report at 3 a.m. Fort Wayne time, right to your email.

Police and fire

  • Driver crashes, dies after police chase
    Debris and wreckage littered the highway Wednesday as a section of Airport Expressway was closed for the evening after a violent crash left one man dead at the end of a police pursuit.
  • Wheelie leads to collision
    The woman sat on the sidewalk, smothering her face in towels and tissues as three men put their arms around her. Just up the street, amid the destroyed motorcycle and debris littering the road, was her son.
  • Area near I-469, Auburn Road reopens after gas leak
    The roads around Interstate 469 and Auburn Road have been cleared and reopened after a construction crew hit a gas line this morning, requiring patients and staff from two medical buildings to be evacuated for a time, Fort Wayne firefighters said.

Man shot dead in entryway of home on city's east side

Doug Johnson has spent all his 48 years living on McDonald Street. And until Saturday, he couldn't recall anyone ever being killed on his block.

Early that morning, Johnson woke from a deep sleep to a slew of squad cars outside his east-side home. A man had been shot just inside the entryway of the house next door, according to police.

"I'm not surprised, 'cause our street, it ain't no special street," Johnson said. "It happens everywhere. I never thought it would happen over here."

Police were dispatched to Johnson's block, between Edsall Avenue and Kitch Street, at 1:20 a.m. on a report of a shooting. A man with a gunshot wound or wounds was pronounced dead at the scene, police said.

The victim's name was not released, but Johnson believes the man was his next-door neighbor. He said the man was in his 20s and would often walk his dog up and down the block.

"I see him everyday. I just didn't know his name, but, you know, I knew him," Johnson said. "I saw seen him take his kid to the school bus every morning right out here in front of the house."

On Saturday afternoon, a splatter of what looked like blood still marred the white front door of the tan, one-story house at 3017 McDonald. No one answered when a reporter knocked.

Police did not disclose what led up to the shooting or how it transpired. Of the neighbors who spoke with The Journal Gazette, none saw the shooting, though two heard gunfire. Johnson said he did not see or hear anything until police arrived.

Investigators have not established a motive in the case, but they do not believe it was a home invasion or robbery, said officer Chris Felton, a Fort Wayne police spokesman.

As of Saturday night, no one had been arrested. Police did not release any information about suspects.

"It's a mystery right now," Johnson said.