You choose, we deliver
If you are interested in this story, you might be interested in others from The Journal Gazette. Go to www.journalgazette.net/newsletter and pick the subjects you care most about. We'll deliver your customized daily news report at 3 a.m. Fort Wayne time, right to your email.

Police and fire

  • Woman's tormentor sought in beatings
    A New Haven man is accused of choking a woman into unconsciousness before beating her again and trying to rape her after she was released from a hospital.
  • Beating death suspect linked to bank card use
    The woman found dead in her northwest Fort Wayne home this month was beaten to death with a fire poker and her bank card was used in a shopping spree, according to new details made available Wednesday in court filings.
  • Man pistol-whipped; assailants apologize
    A man in northwest Allen County was pistol-whipped in the head early Wednesday during a home invasion, but the man’s attackers then brought him a towel to tend to his wound and offered an apology after they found out what they wanted wasn’t in the
Advertisement
Michelle Davies | The Journal Gazette
Scene Tuesday at the Marketplace of Canterbury.

Major fire hits Fort Wayne entertainment hub

FORT WAYNE – Despite a nearby fire Tuesday morning, Piere’s will be open for its scheduled Drowning Pool concert Thursday, according to both city officials and the nightclub’s Twitter page.

A fire destroyed three businesses in the Marketplace of Canterbury early Tuesday, and caused some damage to Club V, one of the bars that is part the Piere’s Entertainment Center.

Later in the afternoon, firefighters were still on the scene along with a remodeling company, sifting through the wreckage and waste that was once a Cap n’ Cork liquor store, Mitchell’s Sports Bar & Grill and a hair salon.

No cause has been determined yet, according to Fort Wayne Fire Chief Amy Biggs.

A preliminary investigation found that the fire might have begun in the kitchen of Mitchell’s, but Biggs said any final determination about where the fire started and what caused it is “up in the air.”

The fire was reported by employees of a nearby nursing home and a Dunkin Donuts who saw fire coming from the roof of the Cap n’ Cork about 5:08 a.m.

No injuries were reported.

jeffwiehe@jg.net

For more on this story, visit www.journalgazette.net later today or see Wednesday's print edition of The Journal Gazette.

Advertisement