You choose, we deliver
If you are interested in this story, you might be interested in others from The Journal Gazette. Go to www.journalgazette.net/newsletter and pick the subjects you care most about. We'll deliver your customized daily news report at 3 a.m. Fort Wayne time, right to your email.

Police and fire

  • Bluffton ADís recovery ongoing
    The athletic director at Bluffton High School continues his recovery after he suffered a serious head injury in the school’s parking lot.
  • Self-proclaimed spice-dealing leader sought
    Police are asking for the public’s help in finding a man who proclaimed himself the highest-level synthetic marijuana dealer in New Haven and the second-most important dealer of the drug in Fort Wayne.Brandon K.
  • Arrest made, charges filed in womanís beating death
    A little more than a week after she was found dead in her mobile home on Fort Wayne’s northwest side, police believe they have the man responsible for the beating death of Diane Woods.
Advertisement
Michelle Davies | The Journal Gazette
Scene Tuesday at the Marketplace of Canterbury.

Major fire hits Fort Wayne entertainment hub

FORT WAYNE – Despite a nearby fire Tuesday morning, Piere’s will be open for its scheduled Drowning Pool concert Thursday, according to both city officials and the nightclub’s Twitter page.

A fire destroyed three businesses in the Marketplace of Canterbury early Tuesday, and caused some damage to Club V, one of the bars that is part the Piere’s Entertainment Center.

Later in the afternoon, firefighters were still on the scene along with a remodeling company, sifting through the wreckage and waste that was once a Cap n’ Cork liquor store, Mitchell’s Sports Bar & Grill and a hair salon.

No cause has been determined yet, according to Fort Wayne Fire Chief Amy Biggs.

A preliminary investigation found that the fire might have begun in the kitchen of Mitchell’s, but Biggs said any final determination about where the fire started and what caused it is “up in the air.”

The fire was reported by employees of a nearby nursing home and a Dunkin Donuts who saw fire coming from the roof of the Cap n’ Cork about 5:08 a.m.

No injuries were reported.

jeffwiehe@jg.net

For more on this story, visit www.journalgazette.net later today or see Wednesday's print edition of The Journal Gazette.

Advertisement