You choose, we deliver
If you are interested in this story, you might be interested in others from The Journal Gazette. Go to www.journalgazette.net/newsletter and pick the subjects you care most about. We'll deliver your customized daily news report at 3 a.m. Fort Wayne time, right to your email.

Police and fire

  • 2 injured in SUV crash after driver falls asleep
    A 72-year-old woman and her passenger were injured Tuesday morning after she fell asleep at the wheel and her sport utility vehicle went off U.S. 6 and crashed in Noble County, according to police.Karen M.
  • 1 held in cemetery slaying
    Police have arrested a Fort Wayne man on a murder charge in connection with the death of a woman whose body was found Monday in an undeveloped portion of Catholic Cemetery.
  • Police arrest suspect in school break-in
    A 30-year-old South Bend man has been arrested in connection with Monday morning's break-in at Tippecanoe Valley Middle School, thanks to numerous tips, the Kosciusko County Sheriff's Department said today.
Advertisement
Michelle Davies | The Journal Gazette
Scene Tuesday at the Marketplace of Canterbury.

Major fire hits Fort Wayne entertainment hub

FORT WAYNE – Despite a nearby fire Tuesday morning, Piere’s will be open for its scheduled Drowning Pool concert Thursday, according to both city officials and the nightclub’s Twitter page.

A fire destroyed three businesses in the Marketplace of Canterbury early Tuesday, and caused some damage to Club V, one of the bars that is part the Piere’s Entertainment Center.

Later in the afternoon, firefighters were still on the scene along with a remodeling company, sifting through the wreckage and waste that was once a Cap n’ Cork liquor store, Mitchell’s Sports Bar & Grill and a hair salon.

No cause has been determined yet, according to Fort Wayne Fire Chief Amy Biggs.

A preliminary investigation found that the fire might have begun in the kitchen of Mitchell’s, but Biggs said any final determination about where the fire started and what caused it is “up in the air.”

The fire was reported by employees of a nearby nursing home and a Dunkin Donuts who saw fire coming from the roof of the Cap n’ Cork about 5:08 a.m.

No injuries were reported.

jeffwiehe@jg.net

For more on this story, visit www.journalgazette.net later today or see Wednesday's print edition of The Journal Gazette.

Advertisement