You choose, we deliver
If you are interested in this story, you might be interested in others from The Journal Gazette. Go to and pick the subjects you care most about. We'll deliver your customized daily news report at 3 a.m. Fort Wayne time, right to your email.

Police and fire

  • Northbound I-69 reopens in DeKalb after crash
    Northbound Interstate 69 in DeKalb County has reopened after a three-car crash closed both lanes this afternoon, Indiana State Police said.
  • Police warn of potential phone scam
    Someone is calling Kendallville residents and telling them they have won money or a new car. Kendallville police say it’s a potential scam.
  • Police try to ID child's shooter
    Fort Wayne police detectives are still trying to piece together who pulled the trigger in a southeast-side drive-by shooting that put a small child in the hospital Saturday night.
Swikar Patel | The Journal Gazette
EST officers rescue the 3-year-old boy who was held hostage by Kenneth Knight at 3018 Holton Avenue on Wednesday afternoon.

Snipers named in fatal police-action shooting during standoff

FORT WAYNE – Two city police officers involved the police-action shooting that killed suspect Kenneth Knight on Wednesday during a tense hostage situation with a 3-year-old boy have been named.

Fort Wayne police Chief Rusty York named them Thursday:

  • Keith W. Wallace, 43, has been on the force for 12 years, two of them with the Emergency Services Team. He received a meritorious service commendation in 2011 and received letters of commendation five times. He was issued a letter of reprimand in 2012 in connection with a police vehicle accident, and has been suspended several times over the years, mainly for crashes and for being absent without leave several times, according to police department records.
  • Martin P. Grooms, 43, has been on the force for seven years, seven of them with the Emergency Services Team. He received a citation for meritorious service in 2008, with a spotless record, according to department records.
Neither had been involved in a police-action shooting before, York said.

Both of them, plus the lead negotiator, who was not named, has each been given a five-day administrative leave and access to a psychologist, the chief said.

York said he spoke to all three on Wednesday and again Thursday.

“All three gentlemen are professionals. It's a tough situation – I let them know, if there's anything they need, they can contact any one of (the command staff),” York said. “It's a very traumatic event. It's one you train for throughout your career, but obviously you hope it never happens.”