You choose, we deliver
If you are interested in this story, you might be interested in others from The Journal Gazette. Go to www.journalgazette.net/newsletter and pick the subjects you care most about. We'll deliver your customized daily news report at 3 a.m. Fort Wayne time, right to your email.

Police and fire

  • Driver crashes, dies after police chase
    Debris and wreckage littered the highway Wednesday as a section of Airport Expressway was closed for the evening after a violent crash left one man dead at the end of a police pursuit.
  • Wheelie leads to collision
    The woman sat on the sidewalk, smothering her face in towels and tissues as three men put their arms around her. Just up the street, amid the destroyed motorcycle and debris littering the road, was her son.
  • Area near I-469, Auburn Road reopens after gas leak
    The roads around Interstate 469 and Auburn Road have been cleared and reopened after a construction crew hit a gas line this morning, requiring patients and staff from two medical buildings to be evacuated for a time, Fort Wayne firefighters said.
Advertisement
Swikar Patel | The Journal Gazette
EST officers rescue the 3-year-old boy who was held hostage by Kenneth Knight at 3018 Holton Avenue on Wednesday afternoon.

Snipers named in fatal police-action shooting during standoff

FORT WAYNE – Two city police officers involved the police-action shooting that killed suspect Kenneth Knight on Wednesday during a tense hostage situation with a 3-year-old boy have been named.

Fort Wayne police Chief Rusty York named them Thursday:

  • Keith W. Wallace, 43, has been on the force for 12 years, two of them with the Emergency Services Team. He received a meritorious service commendation in 2011 and received letters of commendation five times. He was issued a letter of reprimand in 2012 in connection with a police vehicle accident, and has been suspended several times over the years, mainly for crashes and for being absent without leave several times, according to police department records.
  • Martin P. Grooms, 43, has been on the force for seven years, seven of them with the Emergency Services Team. He received a citation for meritorious service in 2008, with a spotless record, according to department records.
Neither had been involved in a police-action shooting before, York said.

Both of them, plus the lead negotiator, who was not named, has each been given a five-day administrative leave and access to a psychologist, the chief said.

York said he spoke to all three on Wednesday and again Thursday.

“All three gentlemen are professionals. It's a tough situation – I let them know, if there's anything they need, they can contact any one of (the command staff),” York said. “It's a very traumatic event. It's one you train for throughout your career, but obviously you hope it never happens.”

Advertisement