Skip to main content

The Journal Gazette

Thursday, April 18, 2013 4:32 pm

A look at the deadly Boston Marathon bombing

By The Associated Press

Two explosions near the finish line of the Boston Marathon on Monday killed three people and wounded scores. A look at the facts in the case:



Two bombs exploded about 10 seconds and 100 yards apart at about 2:50 p.m. Monday in Boston's Copley Square, near the finish line of the Boston Marathon. An 8-year-old boy, a 29-year-old woman and a 23-year-old graduate student from China were killed, and more than 180 people were wounded. The explosions occurred about four hours into the race and two hours after the winners had crossed the finish line, but thousands of runners were still on the course.



Homeland Security Secretary Janet Napolitano said the FBI wants to speak with individuals seen in at least one piece of footage from the race, but she said she isn't calling them suspects. She gave no details on what the video shows.

Authorities have said they believe the bombs were fashioned out of ordinary kitchen pressure cookers packed with explosives, nails, ball bearings and metal shards. They suspect the bombs were hidden in duffel bags and left on the ground.



The 8-year-old killed in the bombings, Martin Richard, was remembered by friends and neighbors as a vivacious boy who loved to run, climb and play sports. Also killed was Krystle Campbell, a 29-year-old restaurant manager from Arlington, Mass., whose father, William Campbell, said she had gone with a friend to watch the race.

The third victim, Lu Lingzi, was a graduate student at Boston University studying mathematics and statistics. She was scheduled to receive her graduate degree in 2015.

Boston hospitals reported seven people in critical condition on Thursday, down from 14 on Wednesday. At least two of those are children, both at Boston Children's Hospital.



Speaking at a Boston vigil honoring the victims, President Barack Obama declared Thursday the city "will run again" and vowed to hunt down the perpetrator of the bombings.

"If they sought to intimidate us, to terrorize us ... It should be pretty clear right now that they picked the wrong city to do it," Obama said.

"We may be momentarily knocked off our feet," Obama said. "But we'll pick ourselves up. We'll keep going. We will finish the race."



The area around Copley Square was closed after the attacks. On Wednesday, the federal courthouse in Boston was evacuated for about an hour because of a bomb threat.



Law enforcement agencies have pleaded for the public to come forward with photos, videos or any information that might help them solve the case.