You choose, we deliver
If you are interested in this story, you might be interested in others from The Journal Gazette. Go to www.journalgazette.net/newsletter and pick the subjects you care most about. We'll deliver your customized daily news report at 3 a.m. Fort Wayne time, right to your email.

U.S.

  • Man with history of stabbing women gets 25 years
    WHITE PLAINS, N.Y. – A man who has been attacking women with knives for decades – and has spent half his life in prison as a result – is unlikely to get out again.
  • US to assign 3,000 from US military to fight Ebola
      WASHINGTON – The Obama administration is ramping up its response to West Africa’s Ebola crisis, preparing to assign 3,000 U.S.
  • Northern California wildfire burns 100 homes
      WEED, Calif. – A fire driven by fierce winds raced through a small town near the Oregon border on Monday, burning a church to the ground, damaging or destroying 100 homes and prompting evacuation orders for at least 1,500
Advertisement

AP CEO says phone records seizure 'unconstitutional'

WASHINGTON (AP) — The president and CEO of The Associated Press says the government's seizure of AP journalists' phone records was "unconstitutional" and already has had a chilling effect on newsgathering.

Gary Pruitt says the Justice Department's secret subpoena of reporters' phone records has made sources less willing to talk to AP journalists.

The Justice Department disclosed the seizure of two months of phone records in a letter the AP received May 10. The letter did not state a reason, but prosecutors had said they were conducting a leaks investigation into how the AP learned about an al-Qaida bomb plot in Yemen before it was made public last year. Pruitt said the AP story contradicted the government's claim at the time there was no terrorist plot.

Advertisement