A couch caught fire Thursday evening, forcing residents out of a Huntington apartment building for several hours.
The Central Living Apartments building, 601 N. Jefferson St., was evacuated after the fire began in a common area about 5:15 p.m., the Huntington Fire Department said in a statement Friday morning.
The sprinkler system kept the fire in check until firefighters arrived and put it out, the statement said.
It said water damage occurred throughout the first floor; all residents were able to go back in the building by 9 p.m.
No injuries were reported.