NAIROBI, Kenya – A suspect in last week’s savage killing of a British soldier on a London street was arrested in Kenya in 2010 while apparently preparing to train and fight with al-Qaida-linked Somali militants, an anti-terrorism police official said Sunday.
Michael Adebolajo, who was carrying a British passport, was then handed over to British authorities in the East African country, another Kenyan official said.
The information surfaced as London’s Metropolitan Police said specialist firearms officers arrested a man Sunday suspected of conspiring to murder 25-year-old British soldier Lee Rigby. Police gave few details about the suspect, saying only he is 22 years old.
The arrest brought to nine the number of suspects who have been taken into custody regarding Rigby’s horrific killing in London.
French search for soldier’s attacker
French police pursued a nationwide manhunt Sunday for a tall, bearded assailant who wounded a uniformed soldier in the neck with a box cutter in what authorities said was an attempted assassination.
The 23-year-old soldier was reported to be out of danger.
Initial reports described the lone attacker as wearing a North African-style robe called a jellabah during the assault Saturday evening in Paris. But the district prosecutor, Robert Gelli, said he was wearing a black sweater and black trousers as security cameras monitored him later fleeing into the crowd at a subway and suburban entrance plaza.
Myanmar bus crash kills 11, injures 16
Myanmar state media say a bus traveling from Yangon to Mandalay skidded off a bridge, killing 11 people and injuring 16 others, including an American citizen.
State newspapers reported Sunday that the accident occurred Saturday when a tire on the bus blew, causing the vehicle to skid and plunge off the bridge into a stream below. They said the bus was carrying 27 people.
The U.S. Embassy in Yangon confirmed an American was among the injured but gave no other details.
Toronto’s mayor decries ‘maggots’
Toronto Mayor Rob Ford says a purported video of him smoking crack cocaine does not exist and he attacked the media again, calling the press a bunch of maggots.
The mayor of Canada’s largest city, speaking Sunday on the weekly radio show he hosts, reiterated that the allegations are ridiculous, but he still has not said whether he has ever used crack.
The video has not been released publicly and its authenticity has not been verified.