You choose, we deliver
If you are interested in this story, you might be interested in others from The Journal Gazette. Go to www.journalgazette.net/newsletter and pick the subjects you care most about. We'll deliver your customized daily news report at 3 a.m. Fort Wayne time, right to your email.

Police and fire

Advertisement

Steuben resident escapes house fire

An Angola-area man got out of his house safely during a raging house fire, thanks to his smoke detectors and an alert neighbor, fire officials said.

Angola and Metz firefighters were called to 1652 S. 850 E. at 4:23 a.m. Friday. When they arrived, heavy fire was coming through the roof of the ranch-style house, according to a statement issued by the Angola Fire Department.

It said the resident was alerted by the detectors and a neighbor.

Fire department officials estimated damage to the house at $100,000, and the cause was determined to be electrical.

Florence Township, Hamilton and Northwest Township fire units also responded, as well as the Steuben County EMS, Steuben County Sheriff’s Department and the Angola City Police Department.

The American Red Cross is assisting the homeowner.

Advertisement