FORT WAYNE – The new superintendent of East Allen County Schools will have some control over the districts Title I application, but the administration will have just days to pull it together before the June 30 deadline.
The Title I application for the district has been a topic of much discussion for the board this month, and Tuesday the board decided to hold off on a decision again to allow the districts new leader to be involved.
The board is expected today to name its preferred candidate to replace former Superintendent Karyle Green, who left the district in a mutual agreement with the board March 1. The board is expected to approve a contract with the new candidate next week.
The administration had asked the board for direction on the plan for Title I money – federal dollars for schools with high populations of low-income students – during the June 4 board meeting.
Because of an expected decrease in funding, the district is likely to reduce the number of schools the money serves.
Much of the discussion Tuesday centered on the human resources report, which included Title I certified and classified employees in the list of employees receiving reduction-in-force notices.
These notices give the district flexibility in staffing if it doesnt have positions or funding available for the next school year. Teachers receiving the notices could be hired back by the district or replace another teacher with less seniority, district officials said.
The board amended the human resources report to remove two classified employees whose positions were funded with Title I dollars from the list of staffers receiving reduction-in-force notices.
Classified staff members are not part of the teachers union and wouldnt be able to replace another employee with less seniority. The notices are required by June 30, but most were already notified in person before the end of the school year.
The administration submitted two scenarios for the board for the Title I application. The first would seek about $2.6 million in funding for six schools: Southwick Elementary, Prince Chapman Academy, Paul Harding Junior High, New Haven Middle, Highland Terrace Elementary and Meadowbrook Elementary.
The second scenario would fund eight schools, adding New Haven High and East Allen University, with the same amount. Last year the district had about $3.4 million in Title I funding that it spread among 10 schools.
The board will likely meet next week to approve the superintendent contract and the Title I application. Board members said the new superintendent will meet with administrators today to discuss the application so they can begin work it. The application can range from 160 to 200 pages.
The board conducted a public hearing Tuesday on its proposed contract with the new superintendent, during which no board or community member spoke.
The new candidate would earn a base salary of $140,000 in the first year, with a $3,000 increase each year for three years based on performance evaluations from the board. The amount totals less than Greens three-year contract. The contract also includes $5,000 a year in annuity payments and vehicle and phone allowances.