You choose, we deliver
If you are interested in this story, you might be interested in others from The Journal Gazette. Go to www.journalgazette.net/newsletter and pick the subjects you care most about. We'll deliver your customized daily news report at 3 a.m. Fort Wayne time, right to your email.

Schools

  • Marching bands
    Northrop, East Noble, Bishop Dwenger, Concordia, Adams Central and Heritage took home honors Saturday following a high school marching band contest at DeKalb High School.
  • Northcrest students get vision tests
    Nearly 200 first-, third- and fifth-graders at Northcrest Elementary got their eyes checked with the flash of a laser wand Wednesday.
  • Enrollments rising at private colleges
    With an aggressive and new array of offerings and programs, local private universities and colleges are boosting enrollments this year, while public schools are in a slump.
Advertisement

EACS board OKs new superintendent

Folks

– The East Allen County Schools board made the contract between the district and its new superintendent official Tuesday with a unanimous vote.

Ken Folks, who had previously worked in Marion Community Schools and Northwest Allen County Schools, will officially begin his term as superintendent on July 1, but is already working with district staff.

The board approved the contract Tuesday during a special board meeting.

In his first year, Folks will earn $140,000 as a base salary. He will also earn $5,000 a year in annuity payments as well as a $10,800 car allowance and about $700 for a phone allowance. Depending on his performance, Folks could earn a $3,000 raise to the base salary for the last two years in the three-year contract and an annual $5,000 bonus. What constitutes acceptable performance is to be determined by the board.

Folks has already had some input in the district’s Title I application that was also approved by the board Tuesday. The applications for the federal grant money are due later this week.

The application for about $2.8 million for schools with high populations of low-income families will cover six schools this year. The application doesn’t have many specifics because it is still a work in progress, said Neil Reynolds, board president. The schools that will be funded in this year’s application are Southwick Elementary, Paul Harding Junior High, Prince Chapman Academy, New Haven Middle, Highland Terrace Elementary and Meadowbrook Elementary. Folks will continue working with central office and building administrators to determine how best to spend the grant money, Reynolds said.

The administration recommended the board cut the number of Title I schools this year, to focus on primary and secondary schools with the highest needs. The district funded 10 schools with its federal Title I dollars last year.

Board member Chris Baker said he was pleased with the six-school scenario that came before the board Tuesday, but emphasized the importance of meeting the needs of those schools that will experience cuts as a result of this year’s change, particularly New Haven High School. Other board members agreed with Baker.

sarah.janssen@jg.net

Advertisement