You choose, we deliver
If you are interested in this story, you might be interested in others from The Journal Gazette. Go to www.journalgazette.net/newsletter and pick the subjects you care most about. We'll deliver your customized daily news report at 3 a.m. Fort Wayne time, right to your email.

Editorial columns

  • Film gives public education boosters a say
    Rocky Killion is the Clark Kent of public education – the superman many have waited for.
  • Harassment fuels race riots
    SWAT teams and angry protesters clashed in a small St. Louis suburb for a third day Tuesday, following the death of unarmed black teenager Michael Brown. The eruption of protests and violence has been a long time coming.
  • Overhaul needed in physician training
    Here’s a deal you might be interested in. You get $10 billion a year of taxpayers’ money to do something you may well have done anyway. You don’t need to say what you spend it on, or why.
Advertisement

Gun magazine limit ruse for confiscation

Limiting magazine capacity is among the many time-proven failures of people dedicated to eviscerating the Second Amendment and confiscating firearms from law-abiding citizens. These people would have us believe that limiting magazine capacity will reduce gun violence. It does not, and the ultimate goal of their chicanery, of course, is to limit magazine capacity to zero.

Although the recent push to resurrect the expensive and counterproductive assault weapons ban of 1994-2004 failed in Congress, that has not deterred New York City Mayor Michael Bloomberg, New York Gov. Andrew Cuomo and the Colorado legislature along with Gov. John Hickenlooper. Add the California legislature and Gov. Jerry Brown. “Confiscate, confiscate, confiscate,” say New Jersey state Sens. Loretta Weinberg, Sandy Cunningham and Linda Greenstein.

Bloomberg spends tens of millions promoting his anti-gun agenda and government-knows-best-about-everything philosophy. Cuomo, in concert with the New York legislature, rushed through a late-night, behind-closed-doors bill banning all magazines holding more than seven rounds. Cuomo signed the bill before any New Yorkers could wake up to find out what happened. It made no difference that the New York State Police uses handguns for which there are no such magazines.

Vice President Joe Biden says the best home defense tactic in a deadly force encounter is to fire two blasts in the air from a double-barrel shotgun outside the home if attacked in the home. Now that gun is empty and useless. “I promise you,” says Biden, “you don’t need 30 rounds to protect yourself.” According to Biden, two rounds is the maximum needed (getting close to that magic number of zero) and those should only be fired into the air when faced with a deadly threat.

All the subterfuge about magazine capacity flies in the face of decades of research on terminal ballistics – the pathophysiology of penetrating missiles. According to Gary K. Roberts, leading expert on terminal ballistics and director of the Letterman Army Institute of Research, it is exceedingly difficult to cause instantaneous incapacitation from small-arms fire, either from handguns or small-caliber rifles, such as AR-15 variants, those scary-looking black rifles that gun control advocates claim are so evil. In shootings involving law enforcement officers, Roberts’ research shows more than 60 percent of the time, bad guys shot multiple times are not incapacitated. In the bulk of the other 40 percent, the perpetrator is still not physiologically incapacitated; he chooses to stop or to give up.

There are numerous and repeated examples of such failures to stop – even though the bad guy eventually died – with the most infamous being an April 1986 Miami FBI shootout in which the main perpetrator was shot a total of 12 times, with the first shot the primary mortal wound, and went on to kill two FBI agents and wound five others in a gunfight that lasted almost five minutes. In what may be a record, just this year in a Midwestern city, the subject in a SWAT shootout was shot 71 times before being stopped. Once again, the very first shot, this one from a police rifle, was unsurviveable, but the bad guy continued to fight on for quite some time.

Limiting magazine capacity will never reduce violent gun crime or make law-abiding people safer, and those advocating such know that. It is a deceptive ruse masking the real goal of total gun confiscation from law-abiding citizens.

Bob Aldridge, a Fort Wayne resident, is a National Rifle Association-certified firearms instructor. He wrote this for The Journal Gazette.

Advertisement