You choose, we deliver
If you are interested in this story, you might be interested in others from The Journal Gazette. Go to and pick the subjects you care most about. We'll deliver your customized daily news report at 3 a.m. Fort Wayne time, right to your email.

Full Count


TinCaps key on Loons' miscues for win

The TinCaps found no luck at the plate throughout most of the second half of their season.

But in a 7-4 win against Great Lakes on Saturday at Parkview Field, Fort Wayne had luck to spare.

The Loons (39-48) made four errors in the loss, and the TinCaps (48-37) put up four unearned runs thanks to those miscues.

A day after manager Jose Valentin had to use five relievers in a 16-10 win, Fort Wayne starter Bryan Rodriguez went six innings for the TinCaps. The right-hander gave up six hits and three earned runs while striking out four.

The TinCaps needed that steady outing to balance out a back-and-forth game.

Fort Wayne took advantage of a pair of early errors to claim a 2-0 advantage in the bottom of the second inning, but a two-run double by Great Lakes third baseman Brandon Dixon tied the game in the top of the fourth.

TinCaps shortstop Tyler Stubblefield pulled a home run over the left field wall in the bottom of the frame to give Fort Wayne another lead.

But that one didn't last long, either – a single by Loons catcher Jose Capellan scored one in the top of the fifth to tie it again.

Capellan came through again for Great Lakes in the top of the seventh with his second RBI, good for the Loons' first lead of the game.

That, like the first two leads, was short-lived.

TinCaps first baseman Diego Goris reached base in the seventh on the Loons' fourth error, and catcher Dane Phillips brought him across with a game-tying double.

A bloop single to shallow right field by Stubblefield two batters later put Fort Wayne ahead again, and a pair of insurance runs in the bottom of the eighth made it 7-4.

The TinCaps had 13 hits in the topsy-turvy contest. But the biggest plays were the ones Great Lakes couldn't make.

Reliever Matthew Chabot got the win, and closer Roman Madrid picked up the save for Fort Wayne, which put together consecutive victories for the first time since June 27-29.