JG logo

Hide photos

TinCaps 6, Great Lakes 5

Late rally lifts TinCaps

Secure 1st series win of 2nd half

Sean Morrison

Great Lakes bullpen pitchers scatter as TinCaps outfielder Luis Domoromo steps in to make the catch in foul territory.


Photos by Chad Ryan | The Journal Gazette

TinCaps second baseman Maxx Tissenbaum takes the throw from catcher Dane Phillips as Great Lakesí Malcolm Holland steals second base Monday night at Parkview Field.

Fort Wayne gave Great Lakes too many free chances Monday at Parkview Field.

But when the TinCaps needed it, the big hit came.

Second baseman Maxx Tissenbaum hit a two-run single with two outs in the bottom of the seventh to give Fort Wayne the go-ahead run in a 6-5 win.

It was the first series win of the second half for Fort Wayne (49-38, 6-12 second half), which moves to 8-2 against Great Lakes (40-49, 13-6).

Thanks to some poor pitching, too many walks and some high pitch counts, the game was closer than it should have been.

The TinCaps’ pitchers put six runners on base with walks and hit one batter Monday. Four of those base runners scored.

The sloppy pitching let Great Lakes score five runs on just five hits. The TinCaps needed all but one of their 13 hits to eke out the win.

TinCaps starter Walker Weickel walked three batters, including two in the first inning. Both scored to give the Loons a 2-0 lead.

Fort Wayne got a run back on a sacrifice fly from third baseman Diego Goris in the bottom of the frame, and a double by right fielder Brian Adams tied the game in the bottom of the fourth.

But walks hurt the TinCaps again a half-inning later.

Weickel gave up a hit to start the inning and got two outs before walking another batter. That brought manager Jose Valentin to the mound to remove Weickel, who threw 93 pitches in just 4 2/3 innings.

Collin Rea replaced the starter and struggled immediately. Rea walked two batters in a row, which scored a run. A single by designated hitter Aaron Miller drove in two more to give the Loons a 5-2 lead.

Rea was pulled without registering an out, and Trevor Gott came on to get the final out of the fifth.

Then, the TinCaps made up some ground.

Goris led off the fifth with a double, and catcher Dane Phillips walked. The two advanced on a wild pitch. A single by first baseman Luis Tejada drove Goris.

A sacrifice fly by left fielder Luis Domoromo cut the deficit to 5-4.

The TinCaps got the tying run, and more, in the seventh.

A leadoff hit by Domoromo was followed by two straight strikeouts, and it looked as if the TinCaps would come up short again.

But right fielder Brian Adams reached on a dropped third strike, and Mallex Smith walked to load the bases.

With a riled-up crowd of 4,741 behind him, Tissenbaum stepped up and shot a 2-1 groundball past first baseman Tyler Ogle to give Fort Wayne its first lead.

Reliever Chris Nunn threw two scoreless innings and got the win, and closer Roman Madrid came on for his 14th save of the season.



© Copyright 2014 The Journal Gazette. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.