You choose, we deliver
If you are interested in this story, you might be interested in others from The Journal Gazette. Go to and pick the subjects you care most about. We'll deliver your customized daily news report at 3 a.m. Fort Wayne time, right to your email.

Police and fire

  • Video shows mom punching boy, 14
    A Grabill woman faces criminal charges after police said she was recorded on video punching her 14-year-old son in the face and stomach and unleashing a tirade of vulgarities at him.Meagen T.
  • Mother faces felony after bruises on son
    A Fort Wayne mother was charged with a felony after accusations she hit her child hard enough with her hand to leave significant bruising, including fingerprint impressionsLindsay Olson, 28, of the 2700 block of Witchwood Drive, was
  • Woman walking on Werling is robbed
    She was targeted and robbed because she walked alone at night.One man grabbed her, held something against her back and told her to shut up while another man rifled through her pockets and stole her cellphone.
Chad Ryan | The Journal Gazette
Fort Wayne firefighter Rod Salway picks up his gear Thursday after battling the fire.

2 found dead in home blaze

Fire guts house near McMillen; cause, victims' IDs pending

The Journal Gazette

Two people were found dead inside a burning house on Fort Wayne's southeast side Thursday.

The cause of their deaths remained unclear as investigators worked late into the afternoon collecting information from neighbors and searching for the source of the blaze.

At 8:46 a.m., firefighters were called to 3215 Senate Ave., near McMillen Park, the Fort Wayne Fire Department said.

Two minutes later, firefighters arrived and found heavy smoke and flames billowing out of the back of the one-story home.

Firefighters were able to quickly enter the home where they found one victim. A thorough search of the home began, Deputy Fire Chief Mark Nelson said, and the second victim was found about seven minutes later. The victims' names and genders were not released.

A dog also died in the blaze.

It took firefighters less than 30 minutes to bring the blaze under control. The house had heavy smoke and fire damage and moderate water damage.

The cause of the fire remains under investigation.

After the bodies were found, police and the coroner's office were called – standard procedure in a fatal fire, department spokeswoman Stacey Fleming said.

"… We call in the police immediately so we don't compromise the crime scene," Fleming said.

Onlookers cleared the area by about 3 p.m., leaving police detectives and fire inspectors to sift through the home.

The Allen County coroner will identify the two victims and determine how they died.