Three firefighters suffered minor injuries Sunday while battling a blaze started by a grill outside a home on the citys north side.
About 11 a.m., city firefighters and emergency personnel responded to a call about a house fire at 6409 High Point Run, Kenn Kunze, Fort Wayne Fire Department battalion chief, said.
The homeowner told firefighters she was grilling in the backyard when suddenly flames began spreading up the side of the two-story house. Four adults and a child safely escaped the home on their own, fire officials said.
The blaze burned up the side of the home and through the attic, Kunze said. The fire also spread to the neighbors home, burning several sections of siding.
Three firefighters were injured when a ceiling collapsed, he said. All complained of neck pain and were hospitalized in good condition.
The flames, which caused heavy damage, were brought under control after 25 minutes.