You choose, we deliver
If you are interested in this story, you might be interested in others from The Journal Gazette. Go to and pick the subjects you care most about. We'll deliver your customized daily news report at 3 a.m. Fort Wayne time, right to your email.

Police and fire

  • No answers after shots ring in city
    The vehicles raced down a city street, gunfire ringing out between them.
  • Blaze heavily damages home
    A Fort Wayne family won’t be able to spend Thanksgiving at home after a fire gutted their house Wednesday. Smoke and flames were already visible from the two-story home at 3920 S. Anthony Blvd.
  • Fire burns two apartments
    A fire in two apartments Wednesday afternoon forced the residents to find somewhere else to stay this Thanksgiving.The Fort Wayne Fire Department was called about 4:10 p.m.
Photos by Chad Ryan | The Journal Gazette.
Traffic on Interstate 69 northbound was at a standstill as crews worked to clean up after the crash near mile marker 319 on Wednesday.

Fiery crash on I-69

With the southbound lanes on I-69 closed, cleanup crews work to get the road clear for traffic.

FORT WAYNE -- A man was taken to a local hospital in critical condition after a two-vehicle crash on Interstate 69 Wednesday morning.

The man, whose name has not been released, had stopped in a red pickup truck along the right side of the southbound lane near the 320 mile marker, according to Allen County Sheriff’s Department spokesman Jeremy Tinkel.

Shortly before 9:30 a.m., the pickup pulled back into traffic, directly in the path of a black Chevy Malibu, Tinkel said.

The driver of the Malibu hit the truck from behind, causing it to travel across several lanes and into the barriers dividing the northbound and southbound lanes before coming to a stop.

The Indiana Department of Transportation described the crash as fiery.

The man in the truck was taken to a local hospital in critical condition. No update was available on his condition, Tinkel said.

Three people from the Malibu had minor injuries, he said.

Northbound and southbound traffic was backed up for several miles in both directions, according to Sgt. Ron Galaviz, Indiana State Police spokesman.

It took at least two hours before traffic began moving again in the area at a slow rate of speed, he said.