You choose, we deliver
If you are interested in this story, you might be interested in others from The Journal Gazette. Go to and pick the subjects you care most about. We'll deliver your customized daily news report at 3 a.m. Fort Wayne time, right to your email.

Police and fire

  • 2 rob Antwerp credit union
    Two men with hooded sweatshirts and handkerchiefs covering their faces, one with a handgun, robbed an Antwerp, Ohio, credit union shortly before 9 a.m. Wednesday, the Paulding County sheriff's office said.
  • Details emerge from cemetery slaying
    He later told police he didn't remember anything leading up to the woman's death.
  • Woman identified; man charged in slaying at cemetery
    A woman whose body was found in an undeveloped area of Catholic Cemetery on Monday afternoon has been identified as Katherine M. Gick, 30, of New Haven, the Allen County coroner said today.

Robbery suspect gives up after standoff

– A 51-year-old woman accused of robbing a drugstore was arrested after a three-hour standoff Saturday at an apartment building on Fort Wayne’s northeast side, city police said.

At 10:20 a.m., police were called to the CVS Pharmacy at 2802 E. State Blvd. on a report of an armed robbery.

CVS employees told officers that a woman had given a pharmacist a note that demanded prescription narcotics. The woman somehow indicated she had a gun but did not show one, police said.

After leaving the store with the prescription narcotics, the woman ran into the Beacon Heights apartment building, which is on the same block as the CVS. Officers learned that she was on the second floor, and they spoke with her by phone, but she refused to come outside, police said.

After further attempts to talk with her were unsuccessful, SWAT team officers breached a window of the apartment where she was holed up, and she started speaking to police again. The woman, identified as Tondra Lampkin, eventually followed officers’ orders and left the building about 1:40 p.m.

Lampkin was preliminarily charged with robbery.

As a precaution, several apartments in the building complex had been evacuated during the standoff, police said.

No injuries were reported.