You choose, we deliver
If you are interested in this story, you might be interested in others from The Journal Gazette. Go to and pick the subjects you care most about. We'll deliver your customized daily news report at 3 a.m. Fort Wayne time, right to your email.


  • Allen judges withdraw budget appeal
    Allen Superior Court has withdrawn its budget appeal for 2015, accepting a $5.54 million budget unchanged from this year, Chief Judge Wendy Davis said today.
  • With county funds short, group cancels request for more
    The presiding judge at the Allen County Juvenile Center has withdrawn an appeal for $96,000 for next year's county budget after finding out last week there is no general fund money left for appeals.
  • Raising awareness for referendum
    Officials kicked off a public awareness campaign on the Courthouse Green on Tuesday on a November voter referendum to change the county’s model of government.

Steuben County deputy injured in crash

A Steuben County sheriff’s deputy was pinned in his squad car for more than an hour after he crashed into a tree late Saturday and suffered serious injuries.

The crash happened about 11:40 p.m. on Indiana 327 just north of County Road 400 South, according to the sheriff’s department. The deputy’s name has not been released.

When he crashed, the deputy was headed to the Story Lake area to help DeKalb County police respond to a report of an armed man threatening to shoot people at a large party, the sheriff’s department said.

While the deputy was driving south on Indiana 327 in a fully marked 2010 Ford Crown Victoria police cruiser with its lights and sirens on, he crested a hill and came upon another car going the same direction that had just pulled onto the road, the sheriff’s department said.

In avoiding a collision, the deputy drove partially off the east side of the road and started to lose control. The squad car then crossed the road, went off the west side and struck the tree.

It took emergency crews more than an hour to free the deputy. From the crash site, he was flown by helicopter to Parkview Regional Medical Center in Fort Wayne. His condition was not available Sunday.

The deputy suffered a head injury and injuries to his ankle and wrist. He was wearing a seat belt, and his airbag deployed. State police are investigating the crash.