I read somewhere that tying the ends of fringe to each other helps, so I decided to try it.
I was very happy with my results last week, so I basically did the exact same thing, but I added one more layer of fringe-saving behavior.
I grouped the long strands of fringe into sets that were about 1 inch wide, and loosely knotted them together.
After a trip through the washer, I'll see if these are any less scrambled together than they were when I just left them loose. Either way, I have waste yarn woven in to keep it from becoming a really impossible mess.
I'll let you know how it goes! Have a happy long weekend, to those that get one.