Wednesday, September 04, 2013 9:00 pm
10 Things to Know for Thursday
By The Associated Press
1. SENATE PANEL VOTES TO AUTHORIZE FORCE IN SYRIA
The measure is expected to reach the Senate floor next week as President Obama suggests he could order retaliation without Congress.
2. WHAT US SPIES MISSED IN SYRIA
U.S. intelligence agencies did not detect preparation for a chemical weapons attack, only piecing together what happened after the fact, officials say.
3. AL-QAIDA-LINKED REBELS ATTACK VILLAGE
A nun says rebels commandeered a mountaintop hotel in the Syrian village of Maaloula and shelled the community below.
4. HOW OBAMA MAY HANDLE EGYPT
Aides suggest that the president suspend hundreds of millions of dollars in aid in response to President Morsi's ouster.
5. EXPLORING THE STICKER PRICE OF THE HEALTH CARE LAW
A study finds premiums for a 40-year-old buying a mid-range plan will average close to $330 and nearly $615 a month for a 60-year-old.
6. OHIO KIDNAPPER'S SUICIDE BRINGS LITTLE SYMPATHY
"This man couldn't take, for even a month, a small portion of what he had dished out for more than a decade," says a prosecutor.
7. PALESTINIAN DESCRIBES ISRAELI OFFER IN PEACE TALKS
The official says Israel proposes leaving dozens of Jewish settlements and military bases in the West Bank intact.
8. N.H. PATIENT LIKELY DIED OF RARE BRAIN DISEASE
Officials also believe there's a remote chance up to 13 others in multiple states were exposed to the fatal illness through surgical equipment.
9. BAKERY CUSTOMER NOT SO SWEET ON WEINER
The ex-congressman overhears "vile" comments and shoots back - with his mouth full of honey cake: "Oh, yeah? You're my judge? What rabbi taught you that?"
10. THEN: 2-WAY WRIST RADIO; NOW: SAMSUNG SMARTWATCH
Decades ago, Dick Tracy first sported a wristwatch-like device he could talk into like a phone. The technology that once seemed futuristic will be available by Christmas.