You choose, we deliver
If you are interested in this story, you might be interested in others from The Journal Gazette. Go to and pick the subjects you care most about. We'll deliver your customized daily news report at 3 a.m. Fort Wayne time, right to your email.


  • Warsaw printer accused over firing
    The Indiana Civil Rights Commission found probable cause that a Warsaw company discriminated against a pregnant employee. According to a press release issued Friday, the Warsaw location of R.
  • Office supplier denies bias suit
    In court documents filed Friday, a local office machine company denied the allegations of discrimination lodged against it. In September, the U.S.
  • Local man admits guilt in kidnapping attempt
    A 48-year-old Fort Wayne man pleaded guilty Friday to attempted kidnapping and other charges, admitting to firing a gun at his ex-girlfriend. Michael M.

Plea pact OK’d in cargo thefts

– A Florida man accused of being part of a group that stole more than $500,000 of cargo was given a largely suspended prison sentence, but ordered to pay more than $23,000 in restitution.

Roberto M. Gonzalez, 24, of Hialeah, Fla., pleaded guilty in August to a single charge of corrupt business influence. He was one of three men charged with the theft of cargo from two area companies.

As part of his plea agreement with prosecutors, two additional charges of theft were dismissed.

Allen Superior Judge Fran Gull sentenced Gonzalez to four years in prison, but suspended most of it and gave him credit for 190 days served in the Allen County Jail

Dairan Calderon and Yasmel Encarnacion were also charged with corrupt business influence and theft in the case.

The three are accused of stealing more than $500,000 worth of cargo as part of a trucking scam, officials said.

The men picked up loads from metal recycler OmniSource and Rea, a magnet wire producer, but the loads never made it to their destinations in the Midwest and Northeast, according to court documents.

Earlier this week, Encarnacion was given a three-year suspended prison sentence and ordered to pay $10,000 in restitution.

Calderon has yet to be arrested.