You choose, we deliver
If you are interested in this story, you might be interested in others from The Journal Gazette. Go to and pick the subjects you care most about. We'll deliver your customized daily news report at 3 a.m. Fort Wayne time, right to your email.

High Schools

  • Defense sends Cavaliers to state
      Who says good defense doesn’t produce drama?In the Class A semistate championship at Argos, the Canterbury and West Lafayette girls soccer teams played to a stalemate for 72 minutes before the Cavaliers’ Victoria Yanez capitalized in
  • Air attack stymied, Luers goes running
    The Bishop Luers offense is known for the passing combination of a pair of juniors – quarterback Noah Wezensky and receiver Austin Mack.
  • Spartans shot down in finals
    Homestead continued its streak of shutouts, but the season still came to an end Saturday in the Warsaw Class 2A Semistate finals.The unranked Spartans fell to No.

IHSAA meeting on fight today

Brawl cut short South Side game

– The IHSAA and Fort Wayne Community Schools started their investigations into the fight during the South Side-Indianapolis Tech football game Friday.

A melee involving players, coaches and fans halted the game at Tech with 1:41 left in the third quarter and the host team leading 24-6.

While coaches and administrators at South Side continue to remain quiet on the skirmish, FWCS superintendent Wendy Robinson released a statement Monday.

“As an educational institution, we are always dismayed when adults don’t provide proper leadership when working with students,” the statement from Robinson read. “We take such situations seriously, and our intent is to assist in getting this resolved. I commend those South Side athletes who attempted to remove themselves from what quickly turned into a volatile situation. We will investigate to determine what action, if any, is necessary in dealing with our adults and students, and we will fully cooperate with the IHSAA investigation. We will also find a way to use this situation as a life lesson and move on.”

IHSAA sports information director Jason Wille said commissioner Bobby Cox was at a principal’s meeting in southern Indiana on Monday, and a meeting with officials from both schools will take place this afternoon.

Wille said there was no guarantee an announcement of any decisions would be made after the meeting.

Television footage showed a Tech player being tackled in bounds by a South Side player but then brought to the field out of bounds, drawing a penalty but also setting off a brief, but intense, skirmish between the two teams.

Players and coaches are seen in the footage fighting on the field.

Penalty flags were thrown, fans came out of the stands onto the field and law enforcement officers were brought in, and the determination was made to stop the game.

FWCS issued a second statement in an attempt to clear up any ambiguity about whose team coaches and players belong to.

“As a clarification regarding the video that has been widely shown: South Side students are in white; Arsenal Tech is in green,” the statement read.

“Among the coaches, the man in the green shirt and tan shorts is an Arsenal Tech coach; the man in the black shirt and tan pants is a South Side coach.

“There has been a lot of confusion over who is who and who is on which team.”

If the outcome becomes official, South Side would drop to 2-4 and Tech moves to 4-2.