You choose, we deliver
If you are interested in this story, you might be interested in others from The Journal Gazette. Go to and pick the subjects you care most about. We'll deliver your customized daily news report at 3 a.m. Fort Wayne time, right to your email.
Samuel Hoffman | The Journal Gazette
Wayne’s Austin Yarbro runs past South Side’s Dallas Conley during the first quarter Friday.

Archers humbled in return to field

Generals regroup in 2nd half to earn 3rd consecutive win

– South Side was on its best behavior a week after a fight cut a game short against Indianapolis Tech that drew stiff penalties for both teams from the IHSAA.

Missing their head coach, an assistant coach and two players and beginning a probation that will last until 2014, the Archers fell to host Wayne in a 15-6 loss on a wet field Friday.

Archers coach Eddie Fields sat out the game because of IHSAA penalties from the third-quarter fight at Tech last week. Offensive coordinator Derek Stanley ran the team in his absence. Assistant Dan Muchler was suspended for the rest of the season because of his part in the fracas, while two players were suspended for Friday’s game.

South Side continued its weeklong silent treatment, with nobody offering comments.

The Generals improved to 5-2 and 3-2 in the SAC, while the Archers fell to 2-5 and 2-4 in the SAC.

“They have to have self-control, and they didn’t,” Wayne senior quarterback Jalen Thomas said of the Archers. “I guess they got what they deserved. They have to keep striving hard and not get down on themselves because of that. If they keep striving hard, they will be good one day.”

The Generals went through a similar situation when they were on probation for the first six games of the 2011 season, Robert Brown’s first year as Wayne coach, after an extreme outburst and protest of an official’s call in the final game of the 2010 season, a sectional loss to Delta.

“I don’t know how I would have adjusted because I wasn’t there,” Brown said of the South Side-Tech game. “And I wasn’t at Wayne when that happened. I was just there for the aftermath. All I can do is focus on Wayne.

“You never want to see any school go through that. I know Eddie (Fields), and I know he doesn’t coach anything negative. We played against Indianapolis Tech the last two years, and I know these are just kids. They are still kids, and kids are going to do dumb stuff sometimes. It shouldn’t be a reflection of the head coach.”

Friday’s game was scoreless at halftime. Wayne’s offense came from second-half touchdown runs by Thomas and Austin Yarbro, plus a field goal by Edgar Maldonado. South Side’s score came on a touchdown run by Latrell Ware.

“Honestly I don’t know,” Yarbro said of the lack of firepower. “It was hard. It’s all right now because we got the win.”

The Generals were coming off back-to-back wins, defeating Bishop Luers 15-0 and Bishop Dwenger 45-6 the previous two weeks.

“I don’t know if it was the field conditions or the layover from Dwenger, but that was about as flat as I have seen us,” Brown said. “Obviously against Dwenger, we were motivated. A game like Luers, we are going to be motivated because they are a rival. Games like this we have to find ways to motivate them, and as head coach I have to do a better job of that.”