You choose, we deliver
If you are interested in this story, you might be interested in others from The Journal Gazette. Go to and pick the subjects you care most about. We'll deliver your customized daily news report at 3 a.m. Fort Wayne time, right to your email.

Police and fire

  • Driver crashes, dies after police chase
    Debris and wreckage littered the highway Wednesday as a section of Airport Expressway was closed for the evening after a violent crash left one man dead at the end of a police pursuit.
  • Wheelie leads to collision
    The woman sat on the sidewalk, smothering her face in towels and tissues as three men put their arms around her. Just up the street, amid the destroyed motorcycle and debris littering the road, was her son.
  • Area near I-469, Auburn Road reopens after gas leak
    The roads around Interstate 469 and Auburn Road have been cleared and reopened after a construction crew hit a gas line this morning, requiring patients and staff from two medical buildings to be evacuated for a time, Fort Wayne firefighters said.

Men who hit house in chase remain in serious condition

Two men who crashed into a house Monday night during a police chase remained hospitalized Tuesday in serious but stable condition, Fort Wayne police said.

At 9:35 p.m., a police officer tried to pull over a white 1995 Chevrolet Camaro for speeding on the southeast side near Holton and Fisher streets, said officer Michael Joyner, a police spokesman.

The car slowed down but then sped south on Holton Street. The pursuit lasted about five blocks before the driver lost control, went off the road, struck a utility pole and ran into the front porch of a house at Holton and Drexel streets. No one was living in the house, Joyner said.

Firefighters had to free one of the men from the car, and both were taken to a hospital. Their identities were not released.

While police were helping the men after the crash, officers found a handgun in the car. The case is under investigation, and charges are expected, Joyner said.