Statement as issued Thursday by the Decatur Sculpture Tour:
Decatur, Ind.: The Decatur Sculpture Tour Committee is recognizing four participating artists with five awards. The award-winning artists are displaying work in the 2013-2014 tour, which continues through May 31, 2014. All five sculptures are located on 2nd Street in downtown Decatur.
1) People’s Choice Award: “Guardian” by Gary Hovey of New Knoxville, Ohio, located in front of the Old 27 Ice Cream Shop. The public was invited to participate in the People’s Choice Award by submitting nominations to the DST Committee from June through September 2013.
2) Decatur Sculpture Tour Committee’s Award: “Stealthy Heron” by Gary Hovey, located in the front window of Sunshine Uniques
3) Decatur Mayor’s Award: “Bald and Beautiful” by Greg Mendez of Fort Wayne, Ind., located in front of the Adams County Community Foundation
4) Platinum award: “We’re All Mad Here” by artist Tiffany Vassil and Greg Mendez, both of Fort Wayne, Ind., located in front of tour sponsor Burry, Herman, Miller & Brown law firm
5) Inspiration Award: “Family Time on the Sofa” by Craig Snyder of Minneapolis Minn., located at the corner of 2nd Street and Jefferson
Award winning artists will receive modest monetary awards as well as recognition for their work. Sculptures from all participating artists are for sale but will remain on display until May 2014. The 2014-2015 Decatur Sculpture Tour kicks off in June 2014.
“The Decatur Sculpture Tour not only beautifies and animates downtown Decatur,” said committee member and North Adams Arts Council President, Susan Roe. “We also support the careers of sculptors by giving them a visible place to display and sell their work.”
Now in its second year, the expanded Decatur Sculpture Tour includes 23 sculptures on 2nd and Monroe streets in downtown Decatur and additional sculptures at Adams Memorial Hospital. A tour map and list of participating artists and sponsors is available year-round at the Adams Public Library and two specially marked display cases downtown. Guided tours can be arranged through the Arts Council and the Adams Public Library. More information can be found at www.DecaturSculptureTour.com.
The mission of the Decatur Sculpture Tour is to inspire, soothe, provoke, connect and involve the public through art. Decatur, Indiana is located about 20 minutes south of Fort Wayne, Indiana.