Monday, October 21, 2013 10:27 pm
10 Things to Know for Tuesday
By The Associated Press
1. WHO'S FRUSTRATED OVER HEALTH CARE ROLLOUT
Obama acknowledges widespread problems with Affordable Care Act enrollment, even as software developers said they saw signs of trouble months ago.
2. ANOTHER ALLY IRATE OVER NSA REPORT
France demands an explanation over a news story that the U.S. swept up 70 million French telephone records and texts in its surveillance net.
3. WHAT NEW TACTIC FREIGHT THIEVES EMPLOY
They're posing as truckers and loading hundreds of millions of dollars' worth goods onto their own tractor-trailers, analysts say.
4. `IN MY ESTIMATION, HE IS A HERO'
A Reno deputy police chief says middle school math teacher Michael Landsberry was shot and killed while trying to protect students from a gun-wielding classmate who also wounded two boys.
5. CHRISTIE DROPS GAY MARRIAGE FIGHT
The N.J. governor, seeking re-election, said there was no point in fighting a losing battle against same-sex unions.
6. GREENSPAN SAYS CRISIS CAUGHT HIM OFF GUARD
"The problem is that we didn't know about" the explosion in subprime mortgages that were at the center of the U.S. financial crisis, the former Fed chairman tells the AP.
7. RUSSIA BUS BOMBING RAISES FEARS AHEAD OF SOCHI OLYMPICS
The blast killed 6 in Volgograd, 400 miles away from the upcoming Winter Games site.
8. APPLE'S NEW STOCKING STUFFERS
The tech giant is likely to roll out remodeled versions of its standard iPad and iPad Mini to entice holiday shoppers.
9. FUNNY MATH IN WOMEN'S CLOTHING SIZES
While the average American woman weighs 25 pounds more than her 1960 counterpart, plus-size clothing still makes up less than 10 percent of a $190 billion industry.
10. RED SOX START WORLD SERIES `BOSTON STRONG'
The team has embraced the spirit of the phrase that's helped heal their city following the April 15 bombings that killed three and wounded more than 260.