You choose, we deliver
If you are interested in this story, you might be interested in others from The Journal Gazette. Go to and pick the subjects you care most about. We'll deliver your customized daily news report at 3 a.m. Fort Wayne time, right to your email.


  • 8-year sentence for jewelry thefts
    For six months she stole from the jewelry store where she worked, doctored receipts to make sure items she took looked as if they had been sold, and went to a pawn shop where she made quick cash.
  • Local diocese to appeal discrimination ruling
    The local Roman Catholic diocese will appeal a recent court ruling in a sex discrimination lawsuit. Last week, U.S. District Judge Robert L. Miller Jr.
  • Local diocese to appealdiscrimination ruling
    The local Roman Catholic diocese will appeal a recent court ruling in a sex discrimination lawsuit.Last week, U.S. District Judge Robert L. Miller Jr.

Robber sought release for brother’s funeral

Brenton Ennis

– In the custody of the U.S. Marshals Service in the Allen County Jail, 19-year-old Brenton Ennis awaits sentencing for his involvement in the robbery of a New Haven gun shop.

On Monday, though, his attorney filed a request for him to get out of jail for a brief period of time to attend a funeral later in the day.

According to court documents, Ennis is the half-brother of 18-year-old Brenzel Bryant.

Bryant was shot to death Oct. 15 on the city’s southeast side. Another teen, Jovan D. Sims, 18, was also shot and was in critical condition.

Sims told a witness to the shooting that a gun battle broke out after Bryant tried to rob him. Ennis and Craig Whigum, 19, were arrested nearly a year ago after the armed robbery of Shooters Gun Shop, 660 Lincoln Highway West.

Either Ennis or Whigum asked to see a firearm, court documents allege, and when the store owner went to get it, the robber pulled his own gun and pointed it at the owner.

A customer told police the other robber pointed a gun at him and demanded money and his car keys. After the customer handed over the items, the robber hit him multiple times.

The store owner’s own gun was taken from him, as well as his wallet, which contained $1,200 in store money he was going to deposit at a bank. One of the robbers threatened to kill him and threw him to the floor, court documents said.

Ennis and Whigum fled the store with numerous handguns, three long guns and ammunition, according to court documents.

Both men have pleaded guilty.

Bryant’s funeral was Monday afternoon. It was unclear from court records whether Ennis’ request was granted. An order was entered by the judge, but it remained sealed from public view.