FORT WAYNE – A child kicking a discarded plastic bottle narrowly escaped getting burned by chemicals after it exploded, Fort Wayne police said.
Now they want to know who left the bottle in the 1200 block of High Street.
The child was walking in the area about 6 p.m. Monday and kicked the bottle, police said, when it exploded and sprayed the child with the contents.
The child’s mother acted quickly and got the child into a shower at home, which police said probably saved the child from chemical burns.
Police originally thought the bottle contained substances used in making methamphetamine but later determined that this was not the case.
Anyone with information about this is asked to call Detective Sgt. Greg Stier of the Hazardous Devices Unit at 427-2553.