This undated photo provided by Christie's shows "Three Studies of Lucian Freud," a triptych by Francis Bacon of his friend and artist Lucian Freud. The 1969 painting by Bacon set a world record for the most expensive artwork ever sold at auction when it sold Tuesday evening Nov. 12, 2013 for $142.4 million. (AP Photo/Christie’s)
Wednesday, November 13, 2013 6:11 am
10 Things to Know for Today
By The Associated Press
1. DOCTORS ADVOCATE FAR WIDER USE OF STATINS
New guidelines on preventing heart attacks and strokes say a third of all U.S. adults should consider taking the cholesterol-lowering drugs.
2. 8 PEOPLE CRUSHED TO DEATH AT RICE WAREHOUSE
Thousands of typhoon survivors storm a government facility and cart away 10,000 sacks as the food shortage in the Philippines worsens.
3. WHAT'S THE NEXT STATE TO ALLOW GAY MARRIAGE
With Hawaii Gov. Neil Abercrombie's signature, a bill legalizing same-sex unions is expected to boost tourism in the Aloha State.
4. ONE WORLD TRADE CENTER DEEMED NATION'S TALLEST BUILDING
A panel of experts decides that a 408-foot-tall, rooftop needle should count as part of the structure's total height.
5. HOW TORONTO LAWMAKERS PLAN TO DEAL WITH MAYOR
"We will shun him, curtail his power as best we can," says City Councilor Adam Vaughan about Rob Ford, who has refused to resign over his admitted drug use. "He clearly has gone off the deep end, shot himself in outer space."
6. SEAT BELTS ON BUSES AN IDEA WHOSE TIME STILL HASN'T COME
The government hasn't yet acted on a recommendation made 45 years ago after a deadly passenger bus crash in California.
7. CAROLINE KENNEDY CARRIES ON FAMILY LEGACY
The daughter of JFK is sworn in as U.S. ambassador to Japan.
8. DOJ REACHES DEAL TO ALLOW CREATION OF WORLD'S BIGGEST AIRLINE
As part of their merger, American Airlines and US Airways agree to make it easier for low-cost carriers to fly into key U.S. airports.
9. WHERE KIDS WILL SPEND MORE TIME IN SCHOOL
Districts in Connecticut, Colorado, Massachusetts and New York have developed expanded schedules and are offering unconventional instruction.
10. PAINTING SETS WORLD RECORD FOR ARTWORK SOLD AT AUCTION
Francis Bacon's 1969 work "Three Studies of Lucian Freud" sells for more than $142 million in New York, topping the nearly $120 million paid for "The Scream."