NEW YORK – CBS ordered 60 Minutes correspondent Lara Logan and her producer to take a leave of absence Tuesday following a critical internal review of their handling of the shows October story on the Benghazi raid, based on a report on a supposed witness whose story cant be verified.
The review, by CBS News executive Al Ortiz and obtained by The Associated Press, said the 60 Minutes team should have done a better job vetting the story that featured a security contractor who said he was at the U.S. mission in Libya the night it was attacked last year.
Questions were quickly raised about whether the man was lying.
The report said Logan should not have done the story in the first place after making a speech in Chicago a year ago claiming that it was a lie that Americas military had tamed al-Qaida.
CBS News Chairman Jeff Fager, who is the 60 Minutes executive producer, said he asked Logan and her producer, Max McClellan, to take a leave of absence.
– Associated Press