You choose, we deliver
If you are interested in this story, you might be interested in others from The Journal Gazette. Go to and pick the subjects you care most about. We'll deliver your customized daily news report at 3 a.m. Fort Wayne time, right to your email.


  • Myanmar army kills journalist it calls rebel
    YANGON, Myanmar – Myanmar’s army shot dead a journalist who was detained while covering clashes between the army and ethnic rebels at the rugged border, saying he reached for a soldier’s gun during an attempted escape, the press
  • Myanmar says 2015 election won’t be delayed
     YANGON, Myanmar – Myanmar says it will hold a general election in late 2015 as planned, countering rumors that the vote could be postponed.
  • Thai prime minister to visit Myanmar
      YANGON, Myanmar – Thailand’s appointed prime minister, Gen. Prayuth Chan-ocha, makes his first official overseas trip Thursday since seizing power in a military coup.
Associated Press
Portraits of Ye Htut are displayed at his residence during his funeral Thursday, Nov. 28, 2013, in Yangon, Myanmar. (AP Photo/Khin Maung Win)

Myanmar's remaining independence fighter dies

– The last member of the "Thirty Comrades," the legendary group that spearheaded Myanmar's struggle against British colonial rule, has died. He was 91.

Ye Htut died of old age at a hospital in the main city of Yangon on Wednesday, family members said.

The Thirty Comrades were led by Gen. Aung San, father of democracy leader Aung San Suu Kyi. During World War II, the men went to Japan for training to fight British colonizers in what was then known as Burma. Aung San later negotiated independence from Britain, but was assassinated before that happened in 1948.

Ye Htut, who had been serving in the Myanmar army up until independence, went underground soon after, joining the armed struggle of the banned Burma Communist Party.

He laid down his weapons in 1963 to join the ruling party of then-dictator Gen. Ne Win, but was purged several years later in an inner-party struggle, according to his eldest son Kyaw Kyaw.

Ye Htut was involved in the 1988 pro-democracy movement.

Tin Oo, a former chief-of-staff and a veteran of Aung San Suu Kyi's National League for Democracy, expressed his condolences, saying he had great respect those who helped the country fight for independence.

"I am very sad to hear about the death of the last surviving member of the Thirty Comrades," he said.

Tin Oo said he had met Ye Htut before independence and also when he served in Ne Win's ruling party.

"U Ye Htut served as a patron of the Patriotic Old Comrades league – a group formed by retired army leaders during the peak of 1988 uprising. He shared his experience and had given us advice during the initial days," Tin Oo said.

Ye Htut is survived by his two sons.