In this photo released by the United Nations Mission in South Sudan (UNMISS), wounded civilians from Bor, the capital of Jonglei state and said to be the scene of fierce clashes between government troops and rebels, are assisted after being transported by U.N. helicopter to Juba, South Sudan, Sunday, Dec. 22, 2013. South Sudan's central government lost control of the capital of a key oil-producing state on Sunday, the military said, as renegade forces loyal to a former deputy president seized more territory in fighting that has raised fears of full-blown civil war in the world's newest country. (AP Photo/UNMISS)
Sunday, December 22, 2013 9:04 pm
10 Things to Know for Monday
By The Associated Press
1. CRAZY QUILT OF WEATHER ACROSS THE NATION
On the first full day of winter, the U.S. sees a wild mix of ice and snow, flooding and record warmth.
2. WHY US IS JUICIEST TARGET FOR CREDIT CARD HACKERS
Credit and debit cards in America still rely on an easy-to-copy magnetic strip on the back.
3. GLITCH-FILLED ROLLOUT OF `OBAMACARE' CHOSEN AS YEAR'S TOP NEWS STORY
The runner-up in the annual AP survey is the Boston Marathon bombing.
4. WHO HAS ISSUED A RARE APOLOGY
Al-Qaida's branch in Yemen says it's sorry for an unauthorized attack by one of its fighters on a hospital that killed dozens of people.
5. IN SOUTH SUDAN, FEARS OF FULL-BLOWN CIVIL WAR
Fighting between rebels and government troops continues to rage in the world's newest country.
6. WHERE FILLING UP MAY FINALLY COST SOMETHING
As Venezuela's economy struggles, the president hints at increases in the price of gas - a commodity that has been nearly free for years.
7. APPLE SEALS DEAL WITH WORLD'S BIGGEST PHONE CARRIER
The pact with China Mobile ends a lengthy courtship between the two companies and could boost sales of the iPhone in China.
8. STUDENTS' BACKPACKS A WHOLE LOT LIGHTER
Nearly all the texts used at Archbishop Stepinac High School in White Plains, N.Y., are part of a digital bookshelf kept on an Internet cloud.
9. FOLKS IN LOUISIANA TOWN STAND BY `DUCK DYNASTY' CLAN
The AP's Tamara Lush visits the Robertsons' hometown of West Monroe, La., and finds lots of support for the reality TV family.
10. DALLAS SQUEAKS BY WASHINGTON
The Cowboys' 24-23 victory sets up a winner-take-all, regular-season finale for the NFC East title next week against the Philadelphia Eagles.