You choose, we deliver
If you are interested in this story, you might be interested in others from The Journal Gazette. Go to and pick the subjects you care most about. We'll deliver your customized daily news report at 3 a.m. Fort Wayne time, right to your email.

Police and fire

Michelle Davies | The Journal Gazette
Sports & Spirits was the scene of a shooting early Wednesday after a fight broke out inside the bar. The suspect was formally charged Monday.

Suspect in bar shooting charged

On lam after 2 were hurt early Christmas morning

A Fort Wayne man faces charges in the Christmas morning shooting at Sports & Spirits that began as a fight between a woman and her ex-husband and ended with two people suffering from gunshot wounds.

Senaca V. Lapsley, 32, was charged Friday with two counts of aggravated battery and three counts of criminal recklessness, according to court documents. He had not been arrested Monday, police said.

A fight broke out inside Sports & Spirits, 1723 E. Wayne St., shortly after 1 a.m. Wednesday when a woman and her new boyfriend were approached by the woman's ex-husband, according to court documents.

The woman's ex-husband punched her boyfriend in the mouth, and he and two others were removed from the bar by bouncers.

Lapsley, one of the three, then turned and began shooting back into the bar through the windows, according to court documents.

The bullets struck Zachary Huddleston, a former Sports & Spirits employee who helped remove the men from the bar after the fight, and Anna Rogue, a current Sports & Spirit employee.

Huddleston was taken to Lutheran Hospital in critical condition with gunshot wounds to his throat and abdomen. During emergency surgery, he had to be revived by doctors at least once.

As of Monday, Huddleston was listed in fair condition, according to the hospital staff.

Rogue was shot in the hand, and doctors said she might lose a pinky finger because of extensive injury caused by the bullet, according to court documents. She was listed in fair condition and was later released.

One of the bouncers told police that all three of the men had been patted down per bar policy before entering, but no weapons had been found. The bouncer told police the men had been in the building for less than 30 minutes when the fight broke out.

Video surveillance and bar patrons helped identify Lapsley as the shooter, according to court documents.

Police served a search warrant at his home but found only his mother, who said he was living at another house. A woman at the house Lapsley's mother described said she saw him early Christmas morning in the same clothes he wore during the shooting.

The woman also said Lapsley saw the shooting on the news and admitted that the bullet holes in the windows were his fault, according to court documents.